Gastroenterology is a super specialty that deals with management of patients suffering from disorders of digestive system. A variety of symptoms may reflect an underlying gastrointestinal disorder. The more common symptoms are pain abdomen, acidity, heart burn, bloating, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing, blood in vomits, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss, blood in stools etc. A variety of non-abdominal symptoms like anemia, joint pain, recurrent oral ulcerations, skin disorders, eye symptoms, diabetes and weight loss may also reflect an underlying GI disorder.
Hepatology is a super specialty that deals with the diagnosis and management of patients suffering from disorders of the liver. The common symptoms of liver disease are jaundice, loss of appetite, abdominal distension, swelling of feet and vomiting of blood. Hepatology deals with diseases like Acute Viral Hepatitis (Hepatitis A, B or E), Chronic Hepatitis and Cirrhosis due to a variety of causes like alcohol, hepatitis B and hepatitis C.
The experienced team of doctors and highly trained staff at Department of Gastroenterology & Hepatology offers round-the-clock services in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the food pipe, stomach, small intestine, colon, pancreas, liver and gallbladder.
Our theatres are equipped with state of the art video-endoscopes with Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) for optical enhancement, single-balloon enteroscope and in-situ C-arm. Highest standards of disinfection confirming to international guidelines are followed by using the latest version of automatic endowasher after every endoscopic procedure.
Services and Treatments Offered
Endoscopic Procedures Available
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Upper GI endoscopy including:
- Sclerotherapy of bleeding esophageal varices
- Banding of esophageal varices
- Super-glue injection for gastric varices
- Injection/ Clip application for bleeding ulcers
- Esophageal stenting
- Dilatation of esophageal strictures and Achalasia Cardia
- Endoscopic placement of Naso-jejunal tube
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Foreign Body Removal
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Colonoscopy including:
- Argon Plasma Coagulation for Radiation Colitis
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Single Balloon Enteroscopy
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio pancreatography (ERCP) including:
- Endoscopic Papillotomy (EPT)
- Bile duct stone removal
- Mechanical lithotripsy
- Biliary & Pancreatic stenting
- Endoscopic Sclerotherapy (EST) and Endoscopic Variceal Ligation(EVL) are done for bleeding esophageal varices.
- Superglue injection- This is a highly specialized life saving procedure done to obliterate bleeding gastric varices by injecting (Cyanoacrylate) into the bleeding vessels.
- Endoscopic clip application for bleeding ulcers
- Esophageal stenting – Done for both benign and malignant esophageal strictures and respiratory esophageal fistulas. Provides instant relief from difficulty in swallowing.
- Dilatation of esophageal strictures and Achalasia Cardia. Dilatation is done by using special dilators or balloons.
- Endoscopic placement of Naso-jejunal tube. Done for enteral feeding in patients with pancreatitis.
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG). A feeding route is established directly into the stomach by placing a large bore tube under Endoscopic guidance for patients who are unable to take orally because of neurological problems or head and neck malignancy.
- Foreign Body Removal – Removal of intentionally or accidentally ingested foreign bodies from the upper gastrointestinal tract using endoscope and specialized accessories.
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography (ERCP). This procedure is used for endoscopic removal of bile duct stones, placement of metallic or plastic stents for biliary/pancreatic obstruction and post operative bile leaks.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Single Balloon Enteroscopy – A special procedure that enables us to evaluate the entire small intestine.
- Endoscopic Polypectomy. Endoscopic removal polyps from upper and lower GI tract is done by using a metallic snare and cutting/coagulating current.