The heart is one of the most important organs of the human body. The health of our heart greatly depends on how healthy our lifestyle is. The COVID-19 Pandemic has affected each one of us in one way or the other but there are certain things that are common to us all. Staying at home all day long and not going out surely helped to curb the Pandemic but we cannot simply ignore the fact that this has its negative impacts as well. A stagnant lifestyle is an open-door to many heart problems and the best way to avoid this is to stay active and eat healthy. This holds for people of any age group or gender. Here are a few things as listed by the best doctor in Delhi that will help you to keep your heart healthy amidst the lockdown:
- Stay home but stay active- You must be wondering how it is possible to stay active while you are at home. Well, there are hundreds of exercises that you can easily perform at home, without the need of going out or without any special equipment. Doctors from the best hospital in Delhi lay a lot of emphasis on yoga. You can do it in your balcony or even in your bedroom near an open window. You can also perform simple exercises like sit-ups, lunges, leg raises, scissors, etc. Set a fixed routine for exercising and follow it strictly. Early mornings are usually considered to be the best. Ask your family members to join you. A family that exercises together stays fit together.
- Stop stressing- Stress is one of the greatest enemies of our heart. No doubt the whole scenario is quite overwhelming but this does not mean that you have to let it take a toll over your mental peace. Try to be positive and optimistic. Stop worrying about unnecessary things. If anything is bothering you, talk to someone you trust and let things out. Take this time as an opportunity to strengthen your bond with your family, catch up with old friends online, watch your favourite series and do everything you love. Take out some “Me time” every day and spend it working on your mental peace.
- Healthy experiments with food- A healthy diet is the key to a healthy heart. Whatever we eat, directly or indirectly, impacts our heart health. Try healthy experimenting. Ordering food from outside surely isn’t healthy, be it during the lockdown or even when there is no lockdown. You can always try and make new things at home using healthy and fresh ingredients that are good for your heart and overall health. You can try healthy experimenting with smoothies, salads, soups, etc. Even children can have these.
- Maintain a healthy body weight- One of the most important things that you have to keep in mind is that munching on snacks every now and then can lead to weight gain, which is not at all good for your heart. Since our activity levels have reduced considerably, it is important to reduce our portion intake as well. Obesity is one of the leading causes of heart problems in India and this surely should be alarming. Try to stay active. Walk inside your room or corridor for at least 15 mins post every meal. Make it a habit to have your dinner before 7pm at night and do not sleep directly after meals.
- Stay in touch with your doctor- With online consultation facilities, it is possible to stay connected with your doctor without actually going out and meeting him in person. If you’ve had a history of heart problem or have one at present, regular consultations are a must. Don’t hide anything from your doctor and don’t skip your consultations.