There are varied treatment options to remove or cure cancer within the digestive tract and nearby tissues. These may include surgical processes, therapies or a combination of both.
- There are four main types of surgical processes:
- Endoluminal Laser Process: This technique involves removal of an early-stage tumour found in the digestive tract.
- Open Surgery: The GI cancer indications are treated using the conventional techniques
- Laparoscopic Surgery: Minimally Invasive Surgery technique is used for this surgery involving very less operative morbidity
- Radiation therapy: Involves the use of high-energy waves to treat cancer cells and prevent local recurrence
- Chemotherapy: Involves the use of Chemotherapy drugs to treat cancer cells and prevent local recurrence
- Targeted Therapy: Targets cancer specific genes, proteins, or the tissue environment that contributes to cancer growth and survival
- Immunotherapy: Involves the use of medicines that prompt the body's immune system or natural defences to destroy cancer
A patient might get Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, or Targeted Therapy along with surgery or radiation. This multidisciplinary approach helps in treating the residual cancer cells, during other forms of treatment.