Technology At BLK Cancer Centre
The comprehensive care at BLK Cancer Centre is supported by innovative techniques and advanced technologies that go beyond the diagnosis and treatment approaches resulting in faster and healthier recovery cycle. Some of the latest technologies offered at the Centre are:
Robotic Surgery- Minimally Invasive Surgery
BLKis among the select medical institutions in the country to offer highly advanced Robotic Surgery system. Robotic Surgery is one of the most advanced versions of minimally invasive surgery offering greater vision, precision, and control for the surgeon. Robotics has not only revolutionised the surgical approach in many complex oncological procedures but has raised the oncology surgical standards by improving post-operative outcomes, minimising complications and functional results.
Surgeons at the centre use a computer-controlled robot to perform complex surgical procedures for many oncological cases including Head and Neck Cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Thorax and Lung Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Gynaecological Cancers, Genitourinary Cancers, and Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Advantages of Robotic Surgery:
- Lesser pain
- Shorter hospital stays
- Lower risk of developing an infection or any other complications
- Less blood loss (requiring fewer transfusions)
- Smaller incisions hence less scaring
- Faster Recovery
BLK Cancer Centre is home to some of the top specialists in the field of Robotic Surgery in India who are known to offer an integrated approach for the treatment of various oncological cases, thereby, providing world-class treatment.
HIPEC Technology (Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy)
The Centre is amongst the first in India to offer Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC (Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy) Technology for treatment of cancers that have originated in orspread to the abdominal cavity. We offer treatment for various diseases such as: PseudomyxomaPeritonei, Mesothelioma, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Appendiceal Cancer, Gastric Cancer, Ovarian Cancer and Primary Peritoneal Cancer.
Key advantages of this technology are:
- Improved drug absorption with minimal exposure to rest of the body
- Minimum side effects of Chemotherapy
- HIPEC procedure, when combined with Cytoreductive surgery, is an effective therapy for appropriately selected patients with improvedsurvival outcomes
- Provides hope of prolonged survival and possible cure for select patients of PseudomyxomaPeritonei from Mucinous Tumours of Appendix,Peritoneal Spread of Colorectal Cancer, Peritoneal MesotheliomaOvarian Cancer and Malignant Ascites
TomoTherapy (Next Generation Integrated Image-Guided Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy)
BLK is the only Hospital in North India to offer the most advanced configuration of TomoTherapy which features 3-dimensional on-board Megavoltage ComputedTomography (MVCT) and the latest configuration of Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT).
TomoTherapy is an emerging modality of Radiotherapy which controls and destroys malignant cells with high-intensity radiation. Unlike conventional system, it delivers radiation in a helical pattern, and is generally used for the management of malignant cells with uneven profile, or cases with lesions widely distributed throughout the whole body. The synchronized move of the 360 degree rotating gantry and the moving couch enables radiation to attack the malignant cells from different angles and in different intensities, thereby increasing accuracy in targeting the malignant cells, and minimizing the harm done on normal organs.
The advanced configuration of TomoTherapy featuring MVCT is used to correct any positional discrepancy, which may be caused by a change in body shape, tumour shape and size, internal organ movement etc. This technique is called Adaptive Radiotherapy which is the hallmark of this machine. IGRT allows accurate radiation delivery, thereby reducing treatment margins and improving dose and tumour control. The combined use of the two technologies enhances precision in the treatment process and minimizes impact on healthy organs.
Advantages of TomoTherapy:
- High precision attack of Cancer cell: The combined use of MVCT and IGRT ensure patients are set upaccurately based on the internal anatomy on the day of treatment
- Minimise exposure to healthy tissues nearby: With radiation delivered in a helical pattern and from different angles, the impact on healthy tissues and side effects caused are reduced to the minimum level
- Non-invasive modality: It a painless procedureand is similar to having a Computed Tomography (CT) scan or an X-ray
- Faster treatment delivery: 66% faster in image acquisition and 18% faster in treatment delivery whencompared with the old technology
- More versatile: With treatment range up to 135 cm, it can treat a wide range of cancer from a simple case, irregularly-shaped tumours, upto cases involving lesions that are widely dispersed throughout the whole body
TomoTherapy can be used as the only Radiotherapy treatment or in combination with surgery and / or Chemotherapy. With upto 135 cm treatment range, TomoTherapy can treat multiple Cancer sites in one go.
Immunotherapy is an advanced way of treating cancer that works by boosting the natural defence system of the body to fight against cancer. It uses substances made by the body or in a laboratory to improve or restore immune system function. Immunotherapy may work by:
- Stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells
- Stopping cancer from spreading to other parts of the body
- Helping the immune system work better at destroying cancer cells
There are various types of Immunotherapy, such as:
- Monoclonal antibodies and tumour-agnostic therapies
- Checkpoint inhibitors
- Non-specific immunotherapy
- Adoptive Cell Transfer
- Oncolytic Virus Therapy
- T-cell Therapy
- Cancer treatment vaccines
Considered as the golden standard for diagnosing early-stage Breast Cancer, a digital mammogram is widely used to diagnose Breast Cancer. It is a non-invasive method of creating 2D and 3D images of the breasts to help doctors provide exceptional care for breast cancer with confidence. The 3D biopsy system provides mammogram images with outstanding detail and superior diagnostic accuracy with small doses of radiation.
IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy)
IMRT is a newer and most sophisticated way of delivering Radiotherapy. Surgeons around the world are using IMRT to treat almost all types of solid tumours arising from Brain, Head and Neck, Lungs, Lymphomas and Gynaecological Cancers while minimising the exposure to surrounding issues.
IMRT uses a 3D scan of the body to guide the radiation to the tumour from many different angles, rotating around the patient in an arc shape. At the Centre, surgeons use VMAT (Volumetric Arc Therapy) techniques to deliver IMRT using Trilogy Tx Linear Accelerator machine. The best part of this technique is that it reduces the treatment time to a few minutes and integral doses to one-tenth.
IGRT (Image-Guided Radiation Therapy)
IGRT is an evolution in Radiotherapy that improves the chance to kill cancer precisely; reducing risk and severity of therapy-induced complications. IGRT treats cancer using image technologies like PET, MRI, and CT, to deliver radiation to cancer cells more accurately and safely. IGRT is most suitable for the treatment of Prostate, Urinary Bladder, Lungs, and Gynaecological Cancers.
The main advantages of this therapy are:
- Delivers radiation of higher doses to target cancer
- Avoid causing harm to healthy tissues
- Improves the precision, accuracy and result outcomes of treatment
- Reduces the side effects of radiation to a minimum
PET / CT Scan
A PET/CT scan is one of the best ways to ascertain cancer and its stages. It uses radiation to show activity on a cellular level within the body. It provides nuclear imaging that uses a small amount of radioactive material to diagnose the severity of various kinds of diseases. The Centre has the latest generation PET/CT Scan machine in order to aid the diagnosis and treatment of a plethora of diseases such as gastrointestinal, endocrine, neurological disorders, heart disease, and other abnormalities within the body.
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
BLK is house to South Asia’s First Signa Artist MRI- Wide Bore (70 cm) 1.5 Tesla Volume MR with AdvancedFunctional Imaging.It involves the usage ofa strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within the body. It is utilised to image almost all body parts including the brain, spinal cord, breasts, heart, bones, joints, blood vessels, liver, prostate glands, etc.
Some of the major advantages of Signa Artist MRI are:
- Maximum Space
- Largest Bore
- Less Claustrophobia
- Infotainment During Scan
- Low Noise
- High Resolution
- Faster Results
Brachytherapy is a type of a Radiation Therapy procedure that involves the placement of radioactive material inside the patient’s body to treat cancer. Also called as internal radiation, this therapy helps doctor to deliver higher doses of radiation to more-specific areas of the body to treat variety of cancers. Generally there are two types of Brachytherapy:
- Intracavity Brachytherapy- Radiation placed inside a body cavity using devices containing radioactive material
- Interstitial Brachytherapy- Radiation inserted into body tissue using devices containing radioactive material