Surgical Gastroenterology is a major thrust area of BLK Super Speciality Hospital and patients needing surgery for all abdominal problems are managed by the Gastro Intestinal Surgical Team (GIST).
The GIST functions within the Centre of Excellence for Digestive & Liver Diseases (CDLD) at BLK Super Speciality Hospital. The GIST comprises of vastly expereicned and enthusiastic consultants and registrars committed to providing ethical evidence based compassionate treatment for all their patients. GIST is becoming increasingly known for not only for its clinical excellence and consistent good results but also for the very compassionate care the team provides to all its patients.
The team possesses extremely competent skill sets across all forms of surgical treatment conventional and advance laparoscopic for patients requiring abdominal operations. This allows them to treat their patients with conventional and advanced laparoscopy treatment dependending on the case requirement.
Thus patients with gastro cancers of Esophagus, Stomach, Colon, Rectum, Liver, Pancreas, Gall Bladder and Spleen get the benefit of the most suitable and safe treatment option.
The GIST has a special interest in the management of patients with Gasto Intestinal cancers.
- Portal Hypertension
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Complex enterocutaneous fistula
- Re-operational abdominal surgery
- Bariatric and Advanced Minimal Access Laparoscopic Surgery for treatment of Obesity.
Conventional / Laparoscopic Surgeries for:
- Esophagectomy (for cancer, Barret’s esophagus)
- Cardiomyotomy (for Achlasia Cardia)
- Fundoplication (for gastro-esophageal reflux)
- Gastrectomy (for cancer of stomach, Leomyoma, gastric outlet obstruction)
- CBD exploration
- Treatment of liver hydatid cyst, small cyst
- Pseudo pancreatic cyst drainage
- Lysis of adhesions
- Small bowel resection
- Excision of Meckel’s diverticulum
Large Intestine (Colon and Rectum)
- Total colectomy
- Low anterior resection
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Right hemicolectomy
- Left hemicolectomy
- Subtotal proctocolectomy
- Ileo anal pouch
- Adrenalectomy for pheochromocytoma
- Adrenalectomy for non pheo lesions
- Nephrectomy for kidney tumors
- Nephrectomy for pyonephrosis
- Inguinal hernias- extra/ intra peritoneal repair
- Ventral hernia
- Femoral hernia
Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric banding